In the middle ages the Saint Bartholomew Church, built in Gothic style, occupied the centre of Pécs. When the Turkish captured the town they used the stones of this building to construct the djami (mosque) of Pasha Ghazi Quassim, which was completed in typical Eastern style. Following a reconstruction in 1939, the building regained its original form, as it can be seen today. The green dome of the Mosque of Pasha Ghazi Quassim on the main square of the town is the greatest work of Muslim architecture in Hungary. Today it is a Catholic church, although still displaying the ‘mihrab’ niche and the double arched ogee of the windows.